Tuesday, January 20, 2009

If at first you don't succeed tri and tri again!

About twenty years ago my younger brother was running track at the local university. I watched his 800 meter workout and thought, "No way, how does he do that? He is a Boynton just like me and we don't run like that!" Well, I continued to think about that and, sure enough, I was down on the track, new Nikes and all, giving it my best shot. It took me several weeks to work up to my first full mile run but, yes, I was hooked. It didn't take me too long to find several other middle-age runners to work out with and my journey to improved fitness had begun. Nothing feels better than finishing a good run! It felt good to be doing something about my health rather than just listening to all the fitness gurus describe the "runners high" and tout the glories of "the loneliness of the long distance runner". I could almost imagine myself experiencing it myself! What is it about exercise that makes you feel so good?

3 comments:

  1. Dad,
    I love that you have started a blog, and I would love to be a follower of it. I just got home from the gym, one of my favorite activities, and I feel great. Im trying to start running again after having Owen and I really cant wait to do my next 5K. I realize that a 5k is nothing to an avid runner like you but I gotta start somewhere! Our stake is holding a 5K at a highschool near us in May and Nate and I have decided to run it together! Any advice on a good pair of running shoes?
    Love Ya,
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome blog! Nothing beats a good run--the world comes alive!

    In my chore, I believe there is NO better investment, than the proactive effort one puts into their health. You are a superb example!

    I'm excited to hear about more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to what you say. I have recently started a daily gym routine with a goal of a July tri (splash). I love it. I love a hard workout and gaining endurance and strength. It is addicting. I want to show that those Boynton genes can be "overcome". You are a great example!
    Didn't Uncle Mark just take up biking? Another great example.

    ReplyDelete